JUDAEAN GlASS MEDALLION
JUDAEAN GlASS MEDALLION of Hans van Rossum
Date: 5th to 6th century A.D., Size: H: 3.1 cm, Origin: Jordan
Description: A Judaean glass pendant of dark amber brown to black colored glass with a Menorah (seven-branched candlestick) on a tripod base(?) The pendant with a large suspension loop. Nearly all documented glass medallions are decorated with a menorah flanked by at least two ritual objects, most often the lulav and the shofar, sometimes the etrog. These Jewish symbols express the messianic hopes for the rebuilding of the Temple in Jerusalem and the freedom of Israel. However, among the pendants decorated with just a simple menorah, an example now housed in the Israel Museum (inv. 77.40.1017) features a candelabrum very similar to ours (Hachlili 2001, IS 16.16., p. 344, pl. II.73).
Remarks: This artifact is one of a large number of glass pendants produced in the Holy Land and intended both for the natives and for the pilgrims. The vast majority of these pendants were found on site, but only a few come from precise archaeological contexts. The examples discovered at Jalame, Tzippori and Tarshiha suggest a date ranging from the early 5th to the 6th century A.D. for this class of medallions (Hachlili 2001, pp. 108-109, and pp. 342-345 for an inventory of the identified pieces). There are no identical specimens.
Condition: Intact with some pitting and earthen deposits. | Rare
Provenance: Auction USA 2012, Northern California private collection
Reference: Israeli, Y., Israel Museum, 2003, p. 316, fig. 430, Spaer, M., Israel Museum, 2001, p. 362, figs.
371-3, Hachlili,R, The menorah, the ancient seven-armed candelabrum: origin, form, and significance, Leiden 2001