Ancient Glass Blog of The Allaire Collection

English Glass Tankard

Posted in 3. European Glass, CATEGORIES OF GLASS TYPES ON THIS SITE, English Glass by Allaire Collection of Glass on July 20, 2013

English Glass Tankard

This English drinking vessel has a band of four threads below the rim, gadrooned base and single-loop handle.

H: 4 ½ inches


Bickerton # 816, 817

17E English Tandard

17E English Tankard

2 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Lawrence H. Conklin said, on July 21, 2013 at 9:17 am

    Dear M.&M. Allaire,
    Thank you for the posting of this beautiful glass drinking vessel. In my early years it would have been called a mug and not a tankard. Jonathan Horne, the late English dealer in delftware, once told me that the designation “tankard” was “an up-market device” to make mugs sound more romantic and more salable. I still call all such delft and pottery objects in my collection, mugs. I own a silver Charles II drinking vessel that I call a tankard because it has a lid. And that is what I believe is the distinction.
    Best regards,
    Lawrence Conklin.

    • Allaire Collection of Glass said, on July 21, 2013 at 5:15 pm

      Tankard is the best and most widely used name for this vessel.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: