ROMAN GLASS LONG NECK JUG
Roman Glass Jug with Long Neck of Hans van Rossum
Third quarter of 1st century – first part of 2nd century AD | Production in the Northwestern part of the Roman Empire; said to be found in Nijmegen (NL) ancient Noviomagus
Size: ↑29.7 cm | ø 14.6 cm | Weight 440 g
Technique: Free blown, handle applied; tooled.
Classification: See Isings 1957 form 52b (for the specific long neck and the handle) and 55b (variant; conical body and concave base) | Morin-Jean 1913 form 58, fig. 142 (variant)
Description: Greenish glass, rounded conical, almost bulbous body. Diagonal folded rim, edge bent out, up, in and flattened, long, narrow cylindrical neck (↑ 13.0 cm.) with tooled constriction at junction with slightly convex body expanding out, open base ring, concave base, formed by a narrowing in the lower part of the belly. Angular ribbon handle with central rib in high relief, applied on upper body and attached to neck below rim, in a double fold, drawn up and attached to rim of edge. Excess glass snapped off. The lower handle terminal is formed as a three-pronged claw attachment, and the central projection is extended and decorated with a spur of nine tooled or pinched ‘teeth’. No pontil mark. This vessel is exceedingly rare and a masterpiece.
Condition: Small damage to the handle and a very small ancient times star crack (ø 0,7 cm.) on lower part of the body; visible but not touchable, so only on the inner side of the glass. (Professionally restored and consolidated by Restaura, Haelen NL.) Almost clear, area with slightly incrustation.
Remarks: The most important difference between this bottle and the usual examples of type Isings 55b lies in the shape of the belly, which is commonly conical or carinated. The rounded conical, almost bulbous body and open base ring for a ‘long-necked’ jug is extremely rare. Isings mentions one specimen with an identical rounded conical,almost bulbous body, from Bartlow Hills (UK), barrow I. The similarity with this jug is striking and the almost bulbous body makes them both exceedingly rare. This jug was, together with the other relics from Bartlow Hills,transferred to Easton Lodge, a nearby large house but unfortunately the jug and all the other relics have been lost in a fire that destroyed the house in 1847. (Mrs. Rosemarie Gant, on behalf of Ashdon Village Museum) Another very fine and comparable example is the jug from Esch (Hurk, van den 1986) and a second one which was part of the collection of the Rijksmuseum G. M. Kam at Nijmegen (NL) since 1956, now in the collection of Museum Valkhof at Nijmegen. All specimens with a production in the Northwestern part of the Roman Empire.
Provenance: Collection H. Libregts, Eindhoven (NL), acquired in 1990s.Formerly part of Dutch private collection.
Reference: The Tumuli from the Roman Period of Esch, Province of North Brabant, L.J.A.M. van den
Hurk fig. 11, p. 79, grave IV for an identical example with conical body and base ring but the neck is shorter than in comparison to my jug. This jug is part of the collection of the Noordbrabants Museum, s’Hertogenbosch (NL). Castleford, West Yorkshire: Fragmentary purple jug without decoration, from context dated AD 80 – 140 in vicus (Cool and Price 1998, 157 no. 51 fig. 53) for an identical example with conical body, base ring and the length of the neck. Museum Valkhof, Nijmegen. Inv. Nr.: 4.1955.6(1) Glass of the Caesars, D. B. Harden no. 69.
Literature: Roman Glass from dated finds, C. Isings 1957, form 52 and 55. Romano-British Glass Vessels: a Handbook, Price and Cottam 1998 pp. 150-156. The Tumuli from the Roman Period of Esch, Province of North Brabant, Hurk, van den, pp. 78 – 79. ATVATVCA 1, Roman Glass in Germania Inferior. Interregional Comparisons and Recent Results, G. Creemers, D. Demarsin & P. Cosyns, pp. 17-18 Letter from John Gage, Esquire, Director, to Hudson Gurney, Esq. Vice President, 8fc. accompanying a Plan of Sorrows called the Bartlow Hills, in the parish of Ashdon in Essex, with an account of Roman sepulchral relics recently discovered in the lesser Barrows’ by J. Gage in Archaeologia 25, 1834, pp. 1-23. ‘Rijksmuseum G. M. Kam’ in Verslagen der rijksverzamelingen van geschiedenis en kunst 77 (1956), pp. 189 – 201 by H.J.H. van Buchem.