EGYPTIAN FLORAL GLASS INLAYS
NINETEEN FRAGMENTS OF EGYPTIAN FLORAL GLASS INLAYS OR PLAQUES of David Giles
Origin and Date:These nineteen fragments of Egyptian Floral glass inlays or plaques are from the Hellenistic or early Roman period 2nd century BC/1st century AD.
Size: Largest 7cm long
Manufacture method: Mosaic technique with bundles of coloured canes fused together to form floral images of plants and flowers and then embedded in a matrix of blue grey glass. After polishing each plaque is about 5mm thickness.
Remarks: Whole plaques would have been rectangle in shape and about 12 to 15cm in height with a width of 6 to 7cm. No absolutely complete plaque as ever been found but some nearly complete. As none have been found in situ the exact purpose of them is unknown but it can be assumed that they are inlays for furniture. All archaeological examples have been found in sites in Egypt with the exception of one found in the Galilee in Israel.
Provenance: Formerly in the Gustav Moustaki Collection, Alexandria, Egypt, 19th century. Exported legally from Egypt in 1949
Reference: STERN/NOLTE Early Ancient Glass 1994 – pages 404/407, GROSE Early Ancient Glass Toledo 1989 – 355/356, GOLDSTEIN Ancient Glass Miho 2001 – item 118 pages 86/87/202, GOLDSTEIN Pre-Roman& Early Roman Glass Corning 1979 – pages 254/255/256/257, BIANCHI/NOLTE Ancient Glass Borowski 2002 – pages 81/82
Parallels: One of the larger surviving fragments is now in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and another in the British Museum