Ancient Glass from Karanis a First Century Greco-Roman Town in Egypt
The Kelsey Museum of Archaeology is located at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI. KMA houses a collection of more than 100,000 ancient and medieval objects from the civilizations of the Mediterranean and the Near East. It houses an important collection of provenanced glass fragments and vessels (ca. 1,300 items) from the archaeological site of Karanis a Greco-Roman Egyptian town, in Egypt. The site was active from 1924 to 1935. Karanis (1st BC to 5th C) was mainly a agricultural town which expanded in prosperity after Augustus conquered Egypt in the 1st century. The following pictures show only part of this magnificent collection.
Below are additional pictures of this wonderful collection.