Byzantine Bulb-Shaped Lamp
This is an early Byzantine blown glass lamp. Vessels similar to this object have been found in fourth to sixth century contexts in the Republic of Abkhazia, on the eastern coast of the Black Sea. The second picture is an example of the holder the lamp was hung in when used.
H: 8 cm
4th to 6th Century
Amber Roman Bottle (21R) Allaire collection
H: 11.5 cm D: First Century
Remark: During the First Century, glass artists were using colored glass to a great extent. The most popular colors used were blue, aubergine and amber. This bottle is a simple globular shape decorated with a thin white trail spiraling around the body and bottom of the base.
Ref: Oppenlander #645 & #648, Kevorkian, Loudmer, Paris 1985 #150-155 The Bomford Collection,1976 #58 Illustrated Dictionary of Glass 309Christie’s Kofler-Truniger Collection #127
71R ROMAN CYLINDRICAL JUG
Transparent light green glass jug, body blown in a full-size mold neck and rim free blown. The horizontal mouth applied with a rim coil and reeded strap handle laid on from shoulder to rim. Pin prick bubbles and pontil mark. Isings Form 126.
H: 17 cm, Date 4th Century AD
Reference: Hayes, Royal Ontario Museum, 1975 #364, Verres Antiques et De L’Islam, Paris 1985 #275, Matheson, Ancient Glass in the Yale University Art Gallery 1980 #132, Auth, Ancient Glass at the Newark Museum, 1976 #132, Groen v.d. en Rossum v.- Romeins glas uit particulier bezit, Thermenmus Heerlen,Joop van der Groen, Hans van Rossum, 2011#211, Trier and Naumann-Steckner, Zerbrechlicher Luxus: Koln-ein Zentrum antiker Glaskunt, P.62
Note: This form sometimes is seen with lightly incised geometric motifs. See: Stern, Roman, Byzantine and Early Medieval Glass, 2001 #59, Trier and Naumann-Steckner, Zerbrechlicher Luxus: Koln-ein Zentrum antiker Glaskunt, P.137
Krautsrunk is the German word for cabbage stalk. In glass it is a type of beaker with a cup-shaped mouth curving outward above an encircling thread and a barrel shaped body decorated with prunts. These were made mostly in Germany roughly between 1490-1530. It is part of group of glasses called forest or wald glass and usually is a rich dark green color. The krautsrkunk along with the berkemeyer were the forerunners of the roemer. It is a “must have” for anyone who collects Medieval glass and is rather rare.
H: 9.5 cm
Ref: Whitehouse, Medieval Glass for Popes, Princes and Peasants 2010 #77, Ricke, 2005 Amendt Collection #49, Baumgartner, 1988 #342
This bottle is olive green; the globular body has a flattened and indented base. The tall neck has a slight constriction where it joins the body and is decorated with a ruffled collar. The form may be from the crossover time between Roman and Islamic periods.
Late Fifth or Sixth Century
Hayes 1975 #402 & 403, Oliver 1980 #203, Auth 1976 #118, A.P.C. #N-63, Glass from the Roman Empire, Paul E. Cuperus P. 34, Israeli Museum #431
This is a rare clear glass goblet with small handles for suspending rings, originally six only one remaining. Milled thread applied to the center with wavy band decoration. The knopped stem enclosing an elongated tear. It was probably made in the Low Countries or Germany.
C: 1st Half of the 17th Century
H: 16.5 cm
Published: Christie’s Amsterdam May 15, 2007 lot #26
Ref: Rijksmuseum Vol. I, 1993, #41
Remarks: The Kuttrolf, mainly from Germany in the 16th C, is a beaker commonly found with several glass tubes, sometimes twisted, forming the neck having a cup-like upper container. The example here represents a variant with a single open neck. The lower part of this beaker has a pushed in base and pontil mark.
Condition: broken and repaired
H: 18 cm
D: C. 1560
Ref: Christies Interiors, Sept. 2013 Lot # 199, Henkes, Glass Without Gloss, 1994, #27.2, Baumgartner, Phoenix aus Sand and Asche, 1988 #383, Baumgartner, Amend & Collection, 2005, #64,65 (double)
Provenance: Collection of E. Martin Wunsch
Crystal Glass Small Spirit Carafe
This is an Arts & Crafts small spirit carafe. It is made of fine leaded glass in a clean and pleasing shape. The carafe was made by Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd in, England. In 1834 James Powell (1774–1840), purchased the Whitefriars Glass Company, a small glassworks off Fleet Street in London, believed to have been established in 1680. The company, mainly known for manufacturing stained glass windows, provided glass to other stained glass firms and a wide range of other handmade glassware. The Whitefriars Co. closed in 1980.
H: 5 ¼ inches
This spherical flask was blown from colorless glass. Around the body are several wheel-cut bands. The long tubular neck ends with a collared rim. The piece is intact and has a beautiful bluish green iridescence.
H: 19.7 cm
2nd -3rd Century AD
Ref: Loudmer, Kevorkian, 1985, Collection Monsieur D # 336
Roman Glass Zig-Zag Jar
This is a Roman jar with zig-zag trailing between the top of the rim to the shoulder of the body. It was probably made in the eastern Mediterranean area.
Third-Fourth Century A.D.
H: 7 cm