Byzantine Bulb-Shaped Lamp
This is an early Byzantine blown glass lamp. Vessels similar to this object have been found in fourth to sixth century contexts in the Republic of Abkhazia, on the eastern coast of the Black Sea. The second picture is an example of the holder the lamp was hung in when used.
H: 8 cm
4th to 6th Century
Krautsrunk is the German word for cabbage stalk. In glass it is a type of beaker with a cup-shaped mouth curving outward above an encircling thread and a barrel shaped body decorated with prunts. These were made mostly in Germany roughly between 1490-1530. It is part of group of glasses called forest or wald glass and usually is a rich dark green color. The krautsrkunk along with the berkemeyer were the forerunners of the roemer. It is a “must have” for anyone who collects Medieval glass and is rather rare.
H: 9.5 cm
Ref: Whitehouse, Medieval Glass for Popes, Princes and Peasants 2010 #77, Ricke, 2005 Amendt Collection #49, Baumgartner, 1988 #342
This is a rare clear glass goblet with small handles for suspending rings, originally six only one remaining. Milled thread applied to the center with wavy band decoration. The knopped stem enclosing an elongated tear. It was probably made in the Low Countries or Germany.
C: 1st Half of the 17th Century
H: 16.5 cm
Published: Christie’s Amsterdam May 15, 2007 lot #26
Ref: Rijksmuseum Vol. I, 1993, #41
Remarks: The Kuttrolf, mainly from Germany in the 16th C, is a beaker commonly found with several glass tubes, sometimes twisted, forming the neck having a cup-like upper container. The example here represents a variant with a single open neck. The lower part of this beaker has a pushed in base and pontil mark.
Condition: broken and repaired
H: 18 cm
D: C. 1560
Ref: Christies Interiors, Sept. 2013 Lot # 199, Henkes, Glass Without Gloss, 1994, #27.2, Baumgartner, Phoenix aus Sand and Asche, 1988 #383, Baumgartner, Amend & Collection, 2005, #64,65 (double)
Provenance: Collection of E. Martin Wunsch
Crystal Glass Small Spirit Carafe
This is an Arts & Crafts small spirit carafe. It is made of fine leaded glass in a clean and pleasing shape. The carafe was made by Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd in, England. In 1834 James Powell (1774–1840), purchased the Whitefriars Glass Company, a small glassworks off Fleet Street in London, believed to have been established in 1680. The company, mainly known for manufacturing stained glass windows, provided glass to other stained glass firms and a wide range of other handmade glassware. The Whitefriars Co. closed in 1980.
H: 5 ¼ inches
MEROVINGIAN GLASS BOWL
119E Allaire Collection
H: 6.5 cm, Diameter 8.5 cm, Date 5th Century
Description: Free blown transparent light green with faint swirls of red (manganese) visible. The hemispherical form has a flat knocked-off rim, flattened base, center slightly depressed, no pontil mark. Bowl is in excellent condition.
References: Roman, Byzantine and Early Medieval Glass: 10 BCE-700 CE, E. Marianne Stern, 2001, Cat. 191 (tooled projections), Memoires de Verre, Catherine Vaudour, 2009, #161
The restored ovoid bowl on this early Roemer is attached to an open stem decorated with pulled prunts. This Roemer bowl is more flared than example 40E. Unlike later Roemers there is no spiral foot only a pinched “toed” base ring. This form is closer to the Berkemeyer example 12E, which has a flared bowl. The discoloration on this early Roemer is due to the soil where it was found.
H: 10 cm
Ref: Henkes #45.13,Glass V&A #42,Ritman Coll. #20
GREEN ENGLISH WINES
In the many aspects of English glass making, the Eighteen Century stands out as representing an enormous variety of drinking vessels most of which were made of colorless glass. Appearing, for a short time mid-point in this century (1750-1760) wines manufactured in green glass became a fashionable choice. The following photos from the Allaire Collection show a variety of examples of green English wines made during this short period.
Green Enameled Glass Flask
Green enameled glass bottle with screw top and cap. Enameled bottles of this type were produced in Bohemia, Germany and later in the US. The half post method was used for production.
H: 5 inches
D: Mid to late 18th Century
Ref: Merseyside # D27
VENETIAN SALVIATI GOBLET
Salviati is a family and a group of companies. They were glass makers and mosaicists who worked and sold their products in the cities of Murano, Venice and London.The firms were Salviati, Jesuram & Co., Venice and Murano Glass and Mosaic Co., Pauly&Co and today Arc International. The founder was Antonio Salviati.One of the most important family members was Giulio Salviati (1843-1898).
A good book on this very collectable glass is: Venetian Glass of the 1890’s: Salviati at Stanford University by Carol M. Osborne
The provenance of the Salviati goblet pictured is the Carder Collection.Fredrick Carder managed the Steuben Glass Works in Corning NY and developed many of their early designs and glass formulas.
H: 9 ¾ inches