Corning Museum of Glass New Contemporary Art + Design Wing
Designed by architect Thomas Phifer and Partners, the 100,000-square-foot Contemporary Art + Design Wing includes a new 26,000-square-foot contemporary art gallery building, the largest space anywhere dedicated to the presentation of contemporary art in glass. Adjacent to this new gallery is a renovated historic glass factory ventilator building that contains one of the world’s largest facilities for glassblowing demonstrations and live glass design sessions, with 500 seats.
The new wing links three generations of glass architecture spanning 60 years. The ten-acre campus currently features a collection of buildings designed by Harrison & Abramowitz (1951), Gunnar Birkerts (1980), Smith-Miller + Hawkinson (2001), and Bohlin Cywinski Jackson (2001).
The $64 million project—fully funded before groundbreaking by major benefactor Corning Incorporated—opened to the public on March 20, 2015. http://www.cmog.org/expansion
English Glass Bottle with Raspberry Prunts
This is a colorless gourd-shape flask decorated with gadrooning on the bottom and a raspberry prunt centered on each side.
H: 11.2 cm
The common name for a drinking glass in this style is maigeline, which is mainly from Germany. Other examples in our collection 23E & 49E are closer to the true maigeline shape. This wrythen beaker has patterned ribbing covering the sides and continuing down into the foot. The most common style of maigeline has no foot unlike this piece. The underside of the base has a small kick.
H: 8 cm
D: 15th Century
Ref: Phoenix, P. 310 # 363, Amendt Collection P. 130, Henkes #15.2